I grew up with an intimate relationship with my dad’s slippers and belt. I learned my lesson and literally had the bruises to show. I do not blame my dad for a very physical and quite painful disciplining style. He grew up in the same environment and for him, it was accepted. However, now that I am a father myself, I can’t bear to hit my daughter. Just the thought of it makes my spine tingle.
Of course there are those who condone spanking while there are those who condemn it. I do get angry and frustrated when my child disobeys me. But I am not fast on the spanking. Likewise my wife is not a fan of spanking as well. This makes it easy to promote non-violence in discipline.
Alternatives to spanking:
- Time out time: sometimes the child requires some alone time to quiet down. It is also a good way for the child to ponder on his/her actions. This works well with my daughter as it helps her think about the consequences of her actions.
- Talking to the child: Instead of just smacking the child we find it more productive to talk with child. Moreover, discussing why and how things should be. Moreover, this technique allows the child to process his actions, learn the pros and cons and get a better handle on what is permitted and what is not.
- Forfeiting privileges: This technique can range from getting a toy, or an activity. Of course before any privileges are taken away, rules must be set. It has to be clear to the child what will happen when she/he does not follow.
Discipline is important especially during the formative years. This is the time when character and values are created and thus affects the child later on in life. I believe in disciplining the child but not by physically hurting the child. Our views may differ and our parenting techniques may vary. But the beauty of sharing this is that we can help each other become better parents by sharing our views – however similar or different.
After all, we all want to become the best parents to our children. And this is always a work in progress.
Other parenting tips you may want to know:
- Make Your Child Sleep at Night Without the Fight
- Parenting Tips on Having THE SEX TALK with Your Child
- Tips to Teach Your Children the Value of Money
Latest posts by jpcmc (see all)
- Inexpensive Eye Care Tips for Everyone - 10/20/2015
- How To Help A Grieving Friend - 02/02/2015
- Inexpensive Technology To Help You Through Power Interruptions - 01/26/2015
- Where to Place Keywords to Earn More Online Income - 01/26/2015
- Anatomy of Great Tips - 11/27/2014