Elder care can be tiresome. Taking care and looking after elders in your house can be rewarding also because they will help you in many ways including the imparting of valuable knowledge based experience.
However there are things to remember when you take care of elders.
- Memory loss – elders might forget to switch off lights, gas knobs, doors, switch off a mobile or land line telephone and so on. One has to be on the lookout or it could cause money loss and dangerous accidents. A relative of mine left the gas (LPG) open and the apartment people had to call emergency to avoid a huge explosion which could have affected many lives. Better to be safe than sorry.
- Tantrums – the feeling that they cannot move about freely or enjoy visits outside often builds up and is let out in the form of a tantrum. It is better not to respond to their taunting remarks and walk away. Replying to their comments will only invite trouble.
- Spend some quality time with elders so that they do not feel left out. Watch old favorite movies with them and listen to their stories. It will help them unwind.
- If they cannot read, read aloud to them or arrange for someone to engage them in some activity. This will keep them engaged and also reduce the ‘helplessness’ feeling.
- Elders can be introduced to a hobby which can also earn them money. For. e.g. making paper bags which can be sold. I knew a grandpa of a friend who used to sell his paper bags. He was happy in his lifetime and never depended on others monetarily for his extra expenses like buying chocolates for his grandchildren.
I hope you like these tips. Please do write yours on elder care so that we all benefit.