During our working years we work hard at our jobs, feel the stress that may come from it at times, and put forth hours driving to and from and working while there. It is exhausting. Plus we take care of our families, home and hobbies. We may spend hours planning, discussing and pay thousands to get away from it all when we are able to.
Vacations are very beneficial to us. They actually keep us healthier and help us to reduce stress even if it is just for short periods of time. But many people now days either skip this annual time away or they take work with them and even cut it short because of work or home issues that come up.
Here are some reasons why you are really hurting yourself health-wise when you do this:
1. Vacations give us a break from daily stressors in our work, family and finances. Getting a break from this ongoing bombardment of stress can actually restore our mental focus.
2. National Geographic has found that one annual vacation can decrease the risk of a heart attack by 50% in women and 30% in men. It can actually actually make a person healthier and this statistic is something that should not be ignored.
3. It has been found time and time again that people returning from vacation are more confident in their abilities and are more creative. And workers who continually use their vacation time are usually better problem solvers and even quicker thinkers.
4. When a family vacations together they are happier in common day-to-day life together. It is a good bonding time for families and a time to reconnect with one another that you don’t get in the normal time at home. And the memories that are shared during this time can be remember much longer.
5. Getting life satisfaction from one’s job is rather rare. Even enjoying what you do doesn’t always translate to a positive life satisfaction. Personal fun activities and leisure time does contribute to a life satisfaction and leads to a decreased level of depression and an increased happiness.