Let’s have a little game here.
Have a paper and a pen and make three columns with the subheading, “Never”, “Sometimes” and “Always”. Write the numbers from 1 to 20 on your paper. Answer the following questions as Never, Sometimes or always, which ever is applicable. Usually the authentic answer will come out in your mind first so stick with your initial answer.
Again answers should be Never, Sometimes and Always. No time limit, but stick with your first answer.
How often do you…
1. start a new project after the other without even finishing any of the previous projects?
2. forget your keys, pens, notebooks and so many things?
3. go back to the door and windows to check if they are locked even after checking on them 5 minutes ago?
4. stand up and get out in a convention or long meeting for no reason at all?
5. get depressed when you feel separated from people, projects or things that you were involved with?
6. make decisions and act on them impulsively- for example buying a new phone, bag, shoes or new gadget even if you just bought a week ago?
7. find yourself tapping a pencil, swinging your legs while studying, reading or using the computer?
8. make a lot of careless mistakes specifically when writing or typing?
9. procrastinate a task then cram when due date is about to come soon?
10. to get frustrated easily when things are going too slowly and you feel like you want to speed up the process?
11. do things your way than follow the rules and procedures of others?
12. get distracted when people are talking?
13. get bored easily?
14. blurt out answer to your boss even if you are not asked?
15. interrupt other people while having a conversation or doing something?
16. drive over the speed limit?
17. feel restless or excessively on the move?
18. misplace or have difficulty finding things at home or at work?
19. find it difficult to concentrate on what people are saying to you even when they are speaking to you directly?
20. change your answer while taking this simple game?
Finish? Ok then count the number of Never, Sometimes and Always, answers on your paper. If your answers are more on the NEVER column you are safe from an Adult having ADHD, if Sometimes is more than the two. most likely you have a mild ADHD and if ALWAYS is the most number of your answers. you are an adult with ADHD. Just to emphasize I am not diagnosing you but you are manifesting the symptoms of an adult having ADHD. So if you want to find out officially if you are having ADHD, you may take an assessment to any clinic that can facilitate such.
What is ADHD or Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder/Attention Deficit Disorder ADD?
Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder or the well known as ADHD is a common behavioral disorder to school age children. There is also another type of this kind of behavioral disorder, it is called as Attention Deficit Disorder of ADD. From the term itself, Attention Deficit, it means there is a LACK OF FOCUS or CONCENTRATION, however if with Hyperactivity, could be a child running most of the time. The adults with ADHD mostly talks fast and endless. They are usually restless individual and could not sit still.
Mostly boys are diagnosed with this disorder than the girls. ADHD/ADD is not a disease but it is a mental condition and therefore it CAN’T be outgrown.
There are two kinds of ADHD, one with hyperactivity disorder. Adults having this are having difficulty staying in one place meaning he works
According to the study, the genetics play the major role for having this disorder. This is when the signs were visible at the younger age. However for some adults who just have (already adult) manifested these symptoms, scientists or researchers were conducting a study whether environmental factors could be cause. In addition, brain injuries, nutrition and social environment were also looked into as the contributing factors to this disorder.
How many adults were diagnosed with ADHD?
According to Jennifer Van Pelt, MA, who published an article entitled “Adult ADHD — Hidden Diagnosis” in May/June 2010 issue of Social Work Today, “A recent World Health Organization (WHO) study estimated that 3% to 4% of adults worldwide have ADHD, with a rate of 4.5% in the United States (de Graaf et al, 2008). Of those, a large number—possibly 8 million to 10 million—are undiagnosed.”
How important it is to know if the person is having this disorder? or How important it is for you to know if you have an ADHD?
It is really important to know if we or some people we know have this disorder. This will give us an full understanding on their behaviors. In addition, knowing their/ (our) condition may avoid us from labeling people like “reckless, careless, crazy or the worst of all stupid”. We can also help them/ourselves to overcome or put remedy on the this condition. for example. making a reminder note on the door so they won’t forget important things they will need before going to work or school or anywhere. Thus having employees with such disorder, will help us avoid marking them as “rude” when this person just go in between conversation. There are a lot of things we can do to help them. Can you suggest at least one?
Disadvantages of ADHD/ADD in adults
Aside from annoying “presence”, loudness, lateness and forgetfulness and laziness the following are the reasons why ADHD in adults should be given some importance.
- procrastinate tasks
- poor organizational skills
- employment problems
- anger management problem
- low self esteem
- mood swings
What shall I do if I have this or if I know someone having this?
I will leave this question for the next article so it will be a little exciting. The next article will be dealing with people who were diagnosed with this disorder and what shall one do if suspecting an ADHD adult?
Jennifer Van Pelt, MA
Adult ADHD — Hidden Diagnosis
Social Work Today
May/June 2010 Issue
Vol. 10 No. 3 P. 14 http://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/052010p14.shtml
If you are interested to other topics in relation to Special Needs you may click on the links below:
————- Funny Articles Mavic wrote —————–
Depression is like a Mosquito’s bite.
Hugs can solve hearth problem
Right or Wrong Decision
The Woman Power
Latest posts by Mavic (see all)
- Recycling Vegetables - 10/18/2014
- Shocking facts students don’t know about teachers. - 10/05/2014
- How to go to heaven. - 10/03/2014
- I think I have an ADHD/ADD, what shall I do? - 09/08/2014
- All Filipinos should know about the Philippine Passport - 09/01/2014