When I was a single guy, taking a vacation was easy. All I did was pick up and go. But things really changed when we started having a family, and all of a sudden, taking a vacation was a luxury, not something that we could just do on a whim. Not only was it more expensive for us to take a trip, but it was even harder to save up the money.
Frankly, planning to go on a vacation stressed us out.
A couple years ago, we tried something new: we put all of our change away at the end of each day and designated it as our “travel fund”. We didn’t expect it to grow a lot, but we thought it would help.
Six months into putting our change away, we really didn’t notice any difference in our spending habits, but we were surprised by what happened with our savings. In fact, in those first six months, my wife and I were able to save up $700 – $700! My jaw just about hit the floor – did we really just save up that much money to take a trip?
Now, taking a trip is not as stressful as it used to be. We don’t worry so much about having the money to go away. Saving our change really made a big difference for us, and will make a big difference for you too – just give it a try.
Latest posts by Marc (see all)
- Simple Ways to Improve The Fuel Economy of Your Vehicle - 10/03/2014
- How Much Laundry Soap Do You Need? - 09/04/2014
- How to Make Stress Free Lunches for Your Kids in School - 09/04/2014
- Save Your Change to Pay for Your Next Vacation - 05/28/2014
- How to Make Corn on the Cob on Your Barbeque - 05/20/2014