Not just during the Flu season, but all throughout the year, I try to prevent my kids from getting sick by ensuring that they take a healthy meal each day, provide them a clean environment to live with as well as sustain vitamins especially Ascorbic acid which will help them boost their immune system.
But despite all these, flu is just bound to affect anyone especially when one of my kids’ classmates might be already infected, having a classroom that has an air conditioning unit could possibly spread the disease. What to do when this happens?
- I give my child regular sponge bath to lower his temperature. If his temperature reaches 39 degrees Celsius, I add ice into the water bath. It doesn’t matter if I had to do it every hour for as long as the temperature would not shoot up more than 40 degrees Celsius.
- Drinking Paracetamol every 4 hours is a must. Together with Phenylephrine every 6 hours for the next 2-3 days, that would surely help the condition of my child.
- I rarely give something heavy for a meal. It would usually be noodle soup or chicken stew which they really love even if they are not sick.
- I know that this would be a huge question among others, but I prefer not to turn on the electric fan or air conditioning unit when my kids have fever. I would rather want them to sweat out so that it would help decrease their temperature.
- For severe cough, I would let my son use a nebulising solution (an anti-asthma drug or a combination of Saline solution with small amount of water) to help the phlegm soften so he could expel it after. This will ensure better breathing. But of course, you must seek medical advice before giving any medications to your child.
- If there are food that I let them avoid, that would be sour/citrusy fruits. Although they are full of Vitamin C, doctors do not require these fruits to be taken because they can only trigger more cough as it can irritate the throat plus it produces thicker phlegm.
- Complete bed rest is needed. As much as possible, I don’t allow them to watch the television nor read books. It will only make them tired even more.
- Letting my sick child drink lots of water to flush out phlegm and lower the body temperature.
Image credit: http://www.flufacts.com/images/kid-symptoms.jpg