You would not be surprised to find out that this recipe finds a place in almost every Indian household. A part as your breakfast or as a 4 o’ clock snack, it just fits in on any occasion.
Not many countries are familiar with Indian food, but I guess you could give this one a try.
Recipe- Kanda (i.e. Onion) Poha
Yield: Serves 2
Prep. Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
2 onions finely chopped
1 cup poha (flattened rice flakes)
1 tsp. cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. asafoetida (hing poweder)
1/2 tspn. turmeric powder
2 tspns. oil
2 green chilies (chopped)
4-5 curry leaves
1/4 tspn. sugar
salt to taste
1. Take a big bowl and add 3 cups water to it. Add poha and allow it to stay in water for 2-3 mins till it turns a little softer.
2. Take a pan and add oil. After it heats up, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter. After that add hing powder, curry leaves, chopped chilies and mix for 15 seconds.
3. Add finely chopped onion and fry till golden brown in color. Once done, add turmeric powder and salt. Then add the poha and mix well.
4. Now add the sugar and allow the poha to stay on heat for another 10 minutes, with mixing it occasionally.
5. Once done, remove from heat and garnish with a small bunch of coriander leaves. You could also add 2 tspn. coconut scrapings before serving.
6. Serve hot.