Even used books can sometimes be expensive if you don’t know where to shop. I read a lot, and have a huge collection of nice books. Most of them are used. Here is how I save money on used books.
1. Thrift stores. Thrift stores are my favorite places to find good used books. They can be super cheap, or they can be expensive. You will have to check out each thrift store, as prices can vary wildly. Goodwill is usually the worst second hand store to shop at.
2. Online. I like Amazon and Ebay for finding used books. Ebay can be great for finding books, but the condition isn’t always great. It’s a good idea to try to buy several from the same seller, to save money on shipping. Amazon can be more expensive, but is where I usually go to find specific books.
3. Places to avoid. I avoid Goodwill and used bookstores. They are the most expensive places for used books.
4. Libraries. You can find super cheap books at library sales, but often the books aren’t in good condition, or have stickers and writing/stamping in them. Good prices, but poor quality.
5. Yard sales. Yard sales can be cheap or expensive, but tend to usually have quality books, as well as more interesting titles than places like libraries. People often sale them for super cheap, like ten cents a piece, or a quarter.