Most of the companies nowadays emphasize on age range when hiring new employees. Booo hooo for those who are a bit well let’s say.. ahmmm… over age. If you are in your 30s to 40s will you stop looking for a job? Will you just stay home and knit? Will you just be sitting in your rocking chair and wait for the time you will be called in heaven? Ahhhmmm… don’t you think you are still desirable and very much able? Can’t you do what others can do anymore? I am sure you still CAN. I am sure you are still upbeat and hip. So, what are you waiting for, search for the job now and be productive. Age is just a number… Don’t stop from aspiring employment or for a career change.
These are a few suggestions on how you would be able to go with the flow.
Revise your resume or curriculum vitae.
- Work Experiences: Highlight the skills you did from the previous employments. Flaunt your capabilities and abilities. Scrap the dates of employment but not the previous companies. If your employment history is well written stressing on the good points such as your main job description and how well you did it, the employer will not be interested when it happened. Don’t include jobs from the past that has no relevance to the work you are presently eyeing. Let’s say, you are applying for Purchasing Assistant Manager, you may not include the clerical job you got 20 years ago. Remove all work experiences not irrelevant to the job opening.
- Educational Background: Just like the work experiences you may just highlight the highest educational attainment and may not include the year when you graduated. You may also include there the title of the Thesis you have written and the commendation you received in your field of studies. But I don’t think citing that you were a Prom Queen may do good in your application.
- Techie Savy: You may want to include your activities in the net or your computer skills. You know old people re stereo typed that they are cyberphobic and has zero knowledge in the new technologies. You may include in your resume your blogging sites and you are a member of D2Dtips.com. Who knows you might get viewership or better recruit them to be a member, too. There is no problem sharing that you are very “in” in the computer world, unless, there is something there that my hamper your opportunity to be hired.
- Dress to impress. Wear appropriate clothes that won’t appear that you snatched clothes from an 18-year old daughter with a pick-a-boo on the cleavage and ruffles hemline or neither don’t wear clothes that will make you look “grandma”. Wear the safest and simplest one, suit. Not too trendy neither too old looking, just dress to impress.
- During the interview don’t over share your stories. Answer only what is asked. Answer straight forward. Show the young interviewer that you are willing to be trained if necessary. Convey the message that you are not a threat that will do the job on your way. Make them feel relaxed that you can take directions from them.
And the one last…
- smile and be confident.
Always keep in mind that, if they can, why can’t you.. you are not senile yet, are, you.. so there is no harm in trying, who knows, at the end of the day, you might bag the position. Good luck. (*winks)
Latest posts by Mavic (see all)
- Recycling Vegetables - 10/18/2014
- Shocking facts students don’t know about teachers. - 10/05/2014
- How to go to heaven. - 10/03/2014
- I think I have an ADHD/ADD, what shall I do? - 09/08/2014
- All Filipinos should know about the Philippine Passport - 09/01/2014