Have you been trapped in a building or home for days because of a raging storm? If yes, then you know the importance of having the right items with you all the time. This will determine if you survive or become another statistic.
A typhoon is a devastating natural phenomenon. We can’t stop it from happening nor can we change its course. When it hits we have nothing else to do but prepare and endure it. However, if you already know that your area will be hit by a storm, preparation is key. Likewise, having the following items with you can ensure your safety during the height of the storm and even during its aftermath.
- First Aid Kit: Every home should have one. Your first aid kit is your only means to take care of injuries or medical needs. In your kit make sure you have bandages, antiseptic, alcohol, plasters, medicines for common ailments, any medications that you or your family has to take e.g. Asthma inhalers, insulin. Moreover, make sure everyone knows where it is and keep it in a place where it is accessible.
- Clean water: Clean drinking water is essential especially during emergency situations. As a rule of thumb you should have at least 2 liters of water per person per day. However, you should also consider stocking up water for other needs like cooking, taking a bath, cleaning utensils and others. It is best stored in airtight containers so it will not be contaminated.
- Food: Food is important so that you can maintain your energy throughout the storm. However, during devastating typhoons, power may be out. As such you need to stock up on food choices that will not spoil easily. Also, opting for food that is easy to prepare is a wise move. Canned goods, ready-to-eat food, biscuits and the like are ideal especially for disaster situations. It is best to prepare food for at least 3 days.
- Whistle: A whistle is an emergency staple. It can be used to give your location with minimal effort. Equipping each member of the household an emergency whistle is wise.
- Rope and other fastening materials: It is also prudent to have some fastening equipment like ropes, duct tape and similar tools/equipment. You’ll never know when you need to tie items together or make repairs
- Flashlight: During really strong storms and typhoons, power outages are common. This is why having a flashlight ready is important. Plus, huddling in the dark with a flashlight can be a great way to pass the time. Kids love this.
- Portable radio: A portable radio can provide you with updated news about what is happening outside. Likewise, it can provide you with some sort of entertainment while you’re stuck inside your house or building during a storm.
- Extra batteries: If you have electronic devices it is just logical to have extra batteries. You can be stuck for days so prepare for the long days without electricity.
During typhoon season, a good day can easily turn into something miserable. This nature and we can’t do much about it. The most we can do is prepare for the worse. When a household is prepared for such instances, they can survive even the most harrowing experiences. The human spirit can withstand the gravest of situations. But with a little help from your emergency kit, you can ensure the safety and the wellbeing of everyone.
Here are other storm and emergency resources that might help you:
- Storm and Typhoon Safety Reminders Everyone Should Know
- Emergency Tip: WAC, First Aid for Minor Wounds
- Every Household Should Have A First Aid Kit
Latest posts by jpcmc (see all)
- Inexpensive Eye Care Tips for Everyone - 10/20/2015
- How To Help A Grieving Friend - 02/02/2015
- Inexpensive Technology To Help You Through Power Interruptions - 01/26/2015
- Where to Place Keywords to Earn More Online Income - 01/26/2015
- Anatomy of Great Tips - 11/27/2014