Have you ever plugged in your washing machine when your hands were wet or switched on the blender after washing up some dishes? I must admit I am guilty of this carelessness. In school we study about electric shocks and how they can be fatal if a high current passes through the human body.
We must use electricity with extreme care. All day long we use many things that are run by electricity…our TV, computer, washing machine, fridge, fans, lights, microwave oven, iron, hair dryer etc. Some tips to safely use electric appliances around the house are:
- Do not poke anything into power points.
- Do not touch electrical appliances or power points when your hands are wet. Water can conduct electricity and give you a nasty shock.
- Do not use appliances which are damaged or have exposed wires.
- Do not repair electrical appliances yourself. Get a qualified electrician to do it.
- Do not overload an electrical socket or power point by plugging too many appliances into it.
- Do not use hair dryers in a wet place or put it down on a wet bathroom shelf when it is plugged in. You do not want to know what happens when a hair dryer falls in a bath tub full of water.
- Do not leave the light switch on when changing a bulb. Switch it off first.
- Do not put liquids near or on top of your electric appliances. They can spill and damage the interior of your appliance making it dangerous for you to use.
- If you have young children, it is best to use socket safety plugs to prevent injury to your curious toddlers
Remember Safety First To Avoid the Worst